What Is an Orthopedic Clinic?
An orthopedic clinic is a medical practice focused on treating conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system, which includes the bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons, and nerves. When searching for an orthopedic clinic, it’s important to select a team that includes doctors, physical therapists, and surgeons to ensure that they can assist with all stages of treatment, if needed.
Commonly Treated Conditions
An orthopedic clinic will generally treat any issue involving the musculoskeletal system, but some of the most commonly treated conditions include:
- Arthritis — The most common type of arthritis is osteoarthritis, which occurs when cartilage that covers a joint breaks down and the ends of the bones forming the joint rub against each other, causing stiffness and pain.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome — When tissues surrounding the carpal tunnel swell and place pressure on the median nerve, it can cause pain, tingling, and weakness throughout the wrist, hand, and forearm.
- Degenerative spine disorders — These disorders develop gradually over time as a result of the natural aging process, causing symptoms like pain, numbness, and decreased range of motion.
- Dislocations — When the bones in a joint are forced out of place, it can cause intense pain, along with bruising, swelling, and a visible deformity.
- Fibromyalgia — Fibromyalgia causes chronic pain throughout the body, along with symptoms like anxiety, depression, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating (sometimes referred to as “fibro fog”).
- Fractures — There are various types of broken bones, including hairline fractures (tiny cracks in the bone) and pathologic fractures (breaks caused by underlying medical conditions).
- Sprains — When a ligament stretches too far or tears, it can cause pain, bruising, swelling, and difficulty moving the joint in question.
- Strains — Strains are similar to sprains, but they involve stretched or torn muscles or tendons, as opposed to ligaments.
- Tendinitis — Repetitive movements can cause a tendon to become inflamed, resulting in a dull, aching pain, tenderness, swelling, redness, and a sensation of warmth.
- Torn ligaments — Some commonly torn ligaments include the ACL, LCL, MCL, PCL, and UCL.
Need an Orthopedic Clinic in Reno, NV?
If you’re in the Reno, Nevada, area and you think you might have any of the conditions described above (or any other musculoskeletal condition), turn to the experts at Tahoe Fracture & Orthopedic Medical Clinic. We’re a full-service orthopedic clinic that’s been serving the area since 1966. Our team includes doctors, physical and occupational therapists, surgeons, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners. Contact us to make an appointment or use our handy online scheduling service.